Biology from Penn Foster

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Biology from Penn Foster

Post by Alla on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:55 pm

emmaposse wrote:

This is Biology......

1. When you exercise vigorously, glycogen is broken down in muscle cells, proving energy to
A. the entire body B. the heart and muscle cells
C. the parts being exercised D. muscle cells

2. During moderate exercise, a body gets most of its energy from
A. carbohydrates B. cellulose
C. glucose D. triglycerides

3. A renal tubule passes most of the fluids it processes into
A. the urinary bladder B. the bloodstream
C. a glomerulus D. a ureter

4. In rheumatic fever, damage to the heart valves is directly caused by
A. an uncontrolled spread of streptococcus bacteria.
B. protein antibodies produced to defend the body against streptococcus bacteria.
C. the contest between streptococcus and antibodies that takes place in the body.
D. a heart murmur due to weakness in the heart valves.

Thanks Alla. If you found this to be easy and you are willing to help with other questions that I have please let me know. I would really be glad if you can assist me.

1. Glycogen is a storage polysaccharide made up of glucose. It can be broken down to provide energy. While it could be in some cases broken down to glucose and be transported into blood stream, the muscle cells lack the key enzyme (glucose-6-phosphatase) required for this process. Therefore, muscle cells can use glycogen for energy only locally.

2. During moderate exercise the body starts out by consuming available glucose. As soon as glucose levels are down, it has to switch to other sources. The easiest to break down source is carbohydrate.

3. A renal tubule passes most of the fluids it processes into the ureter and then ultimately to urinary bladder.

4. In rheumatic fever, damage to the heart valves is directly caused by antibodies that cause valve inflammation. Bacteria are not directly responsible.

Alla
Instructor
Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top